UShadow gives you the opportunity to shadow UM alumni and other employers, showing you what a typical workday is like in a career field of your interest. Shadowing takes many shapes and forms, but the most typical formats include:
- Full or half day of shadowing
- Lunch meeting followed by a tour of their office
- Informational interviews
- Discussion with various individuals and departments about their job responsibilities
- And other relevant professional activities!
Benefits of the UShadow Program
UShadow Program participants have the unique opportunity to investigate a potential career field while connecting with knowledgeable alumni or employer hosts. By participating in the program, students will:
- Explore an industry of interest and gain a realistic expectation of specific professions
- Make valuable networking contacts
- Grasp a better understanding of what is involved in a particular career choice or workplace
- Enhance their career education by confirming or exploring their interest in a career option following graduation
"This program was simply amazing. I really fell in love with the workplace at Carnival and was able to meet so many different people throughout the day. I learned so much. Upon talking with my host about his background he mentioned that throughout his college career he worked as a Port Agent at the Port of Miami for Carnival, which is what I want to do. He told me that he knows the hiring manager and that when I apply to email him so that he could tell the hiring manager that I applied!" - Sophomore shadowing UM Alumnus at Carnival Cruise Lines
The UShadow program is open to all University of Miami students who are in good academic standing with the University and are classified as sophomores or juniors. Students should also review the timeline below to ensure they can attend one of the Pre-Departure Orientations. Students from all majors are encouraged to participate!
The UShadow program takes place every spring semester. Applications are accepted in January and shadowing experiences typically occur in March and April.
- Application Opens and Closes: January
- Notification Emails Sent Out: February
- Pre-Departure Orientations (mandatory to attend one of these sessions): February
- UShadow Experiences completed: March & April
Apply for UShadow
Applications are currently closed. Please check back soon or contact Carly Smith for more information.
Notes for Applicants
- Submitting your application does not guarantee you will be matched with a UShadow host.
- If you are selected to participate in UShadow, your participation is MANDATORY. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to a one-day UShadow experience with the host that is assigned to you in March or April.
- The Toppel Career Center strives to make the best possible matches based on students' indicated preferences as well as the host participants' industries.
- All students will be responsible for their own transportation to and from shadowing locations, so please plan accordingly.